Seven ways to speed up your home insurance claim.
Everyone knows you need to have home insurance in case something happens, but trying to get the insurance policy fulfilled can be difficult. It is not uncommon for months or even years to pass before you see any money. When you are dealing with a ruined home, due to a flood or fire, you really just need to get back into your house as soon as possible. Fortunately, there are a few things you can do to speed the claim up.
1. Be prepared. If you’re already dealing with a claim, this particular piece of advice is too late. However, it is still very important for the future. Make sure you have a full inventory of everything in your home. This can be as simple as taking photos or video of everything and keeping it in a safe place.
You should also have all your insurance paperwork in a safe place. Scanning it and keeping copies online is a good idea in case your paperwork is ruined.
2. Get the authorities involved. In the event of a robbery, make sure you call the police immediately to get the event on record. The police report will help your case go through faster since it is valid proof of robbery.
3. Document everything. You will find it much simpler to file a claim when you have all the proof necessary. Take photos of everything in the home. This will serve as proof of the damages.
4. Make only temporary repairs. If you need to cover a broken window or temporarily mend a door, be sure to take photos before and after. Keep all your receipts for any minor repairs so you can show them to the insurance company. You shouldn’t make any major or permanent repairs until the insurance adjuster has seen the house. In cases where the home is no longer livable, be sure to keep all receipts for hotels.
5. Keep damaged items. No matter what has happened, hurricane, flood or vandalism, do not throw anything out. The insurance adjuster will need to see everything, especially the furniture or valuables that are now worthless due to damage.
6. Hire a public adjuster right away. Waiting to get an insurance adjuster will only slow the process down. When you have someone working with you from the beginning, it can really speed things up and make life easier. While the adjuster will usually charge a percentage of the final claim, you can rest easy knowing that you have someone on your side. It is well worth the fee to streamline the process and eliminate potential roadblocks.
7. Don’t give up. It’s easy to get fed up with the entire process and want it to be over and done with. While settling will end things earlier, it can also leave you with much less money than you deserve. Make sure you get everything that you are entitled to, since it can be expensive to replace belongings and rebuild a home. You’ve been paying for your home insurance for this reason, so don’t give up too early.
No one wants to deal with the hassles that come with placing a home insurance claim, but it is necessary sometimes. Hiring a public adjuster can help you get everything done faster, but being prepared will also speed everything up.
You may be interested
10 YouTube Channels That Will Make You Smarteradmin - Dec 26, 2016
[xyz-ips snippet="place-cookie"] [xyz-ips snippet="ad-top-inside"] 10 YouTube Channels That Will Make You Smarter YouTube is so full of wonders nowadays that it's hard to…
10 Scientific Ways to Stop Procrastinating Right Nowadmin - Dec 23, 2016
[xyz-ips snippet="place-cookie"] [xyz-ips snippet="ad-top-inside"] 10 Scientific Ways to Stop Procrastinating Right Now Procrastination is the mother of all evils. If it were a…